Important Notes About Your Pit Barrel Cooker
Your first time using your Pit Barrel Cooker we strongly recommend that you follow the instructions completely, this will give you a good baseline for how the Pit Barrel Cooker works. Although the Pit Barrel Cooker is designed for slower cooking it can still get very hot on the outside just like a regular barbecue. Keep children and pets away from the Pit Barrel Cooker while in use. The Pit Barrel Cooker should not be placed directly on any flammable surface such as a wood deck or dry grass. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EVER POUR LIGHTER FLUID ONTO HOT COALS IN THE BARREL. The bottom vent on on your PBC is adjusted to half way open upon arrival. If you live at the elevation of sea level up to 2,000 ft. adjust your vent cap to 1/4 way open, 2,000-5,000 ft. 1/2 way open and 5,000 to 8,000 3/4 way open and 8,000 ft. and above all the way open. The PBC comes with a high temp powder coat finish and is ready to cook with right out of the box. As always, please be careful and enjoy!
Instructions For Your Pit Barrel Cooker
- Set up the Pit Barrel Cooker in open area (outside!)
- Remove Horseshoe Stand from inside the barrel and place the Pit Barrel Cooker on top
- Remove charcoal basket from bottom of barrel and place on ground
- Fill charcoal basket to the top with Kingsford Original Briquets you may also use Kingsford 100% Natural Competition Style Briquets (these will burn hotter and cook times will vary)
- Please refer to our video "Lighting your Pit Barrel Cooker using Kingsford Briquets"
- Light briquets leaving the lid off and wait exactly 15 minutes at sea level, or 20 Minutes for all other elevations (VERY IMPORTANT)
- If hanging meat- remove grill grate and place metal rods in pre-cut holes. Hang meat on the stainless steel hooks and hang meat from metal rods inside the Pit Barrel Cooker
- If grilling- remove metal rods and insert grill grate, place meat on grill grate and grill as you would on a barbecue
- Place lid on the PBC and let the meat cook to perfection
- To clean your PBC, wait until the barrel and coal basket have completely cooled and dump the remaining ash. DO NOT WASH OR RINSE THE INSIDE OF YOUR PBC.
Approximate cooking times for meats (Times will vary due to elevation, the times in our videos are based on an elevation of 5280 ft.) therefore when using your PBC at sea level your cooking times will be less
For best results check out all of our videos on our website www.pitbarrelcooker.com or call us direct at 303-249-9069. Enjoy!