Beer Can Breakfast Burgers
“Smoking is the new grilling.” With these words, the man who revolutionized modern American grilling takes on a new challenge: Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke. Watch the trailer and try the recipes made exclusively for the Pit Barrel® Cooker!
Take this recipe to the next level!
Use these must-have accessories to get a perfect cook, every time! For this recipe, the following
items are recommended to take your cookout to the next level.
Print This Recipe
Cook Time: 40-45 Mins* | Desired Temp: 160º *Cook times may varyº
*Cook times may vary
- 1 pound pork sausage, chilled
- 1 pound ground beef, chilled
- 8 slices of bacon
- Your favorite barbecue rub
- 4 large eggs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 English muffins, split and lightly buttered
- Note: You’ll also need a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with spray oil, 1 can cold beer, toothpicks, and hardwood chips (about 1-1/2 cups) or chunks (2 to 3).
- Place the pork and beef in a mixing bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal pieces. Wet your hands with cold water and form the meat into 4 balls. Place these several inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Spray the bottom and lower third of the beer can with cooking spray. Firmly press the can into each meatball. Mold the meat around the bottom of the can to form a cup (the sides should be thick and even). Wrap 2 slices of bacon around the outside of each cup and secure with toothpicks. Carefully pull out the beer can. Using your fingers, fuse any cracks in the bottom or sides of the burgers. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 1 hour, then sprinkle with barbecue rub.
- Light your Pit Barrel® Cooker according to instructions and install the cooking grate.
Crack an egg into each burger and top with scallions and cheddar cheese. Re-cover the PBC and continue cooking until the burgers are cooked (160 degrees in the center), the eggs are set, and the cheese has melted, 10 to 15 minutes more. While you’re at it, grill the English muffins. Place the burgers on the muffins and serve.