Double Brat Po-Boy
“Smoking is the new grilling.” With these words, the man who revolutionized modern American grilling takes on a new challenge: Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke. Watch the trailer and try the recipes made exclusively for the Pit Barrel®® Cooker!
Print This Recipe
Cook Time: 1 Hr* | Desired Temp: 165º
*Cook times may vary
- 4-10 bratwursts
- 4-10 buns/rolls
- 1 jar of sauerkraut
- 1 whole onion
- Melted butter
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Your choice of mustard
- Light your Pit Barrel®® Cooker (PBC) according to the instructions.
- Lightly brush the outside of the bratwursts with olive oil.
- Arrange the bratwursts on the grate, leaving at least one inch between each one.
- Place the grate with the bratwursts in the Pit Barrel® Cooker and secure the lid.
- Cook the bratwursts for approximately 1 hour until internal temp reaches at least 165º.
- Put all the sauerkraut into a cast iron skillet and place it on the grate. Cook until browned, stirring occassionally, approximately 30 minutes.
- Cut the onion into quarters, then skewer them to hold in place and brush with melted butter. Place the skewered onion on the grate. Cook until soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- Butter the inside of the rolls and place on the grate until toasted.
- Remove the smoked bratwursts, sauerkraut, onions, and rolls from the cooker, assemble the po’ boy sandwich and top with choice of mustard.
- Serve and enjoy!