Herb Crusted Pork Loin with sides
Cook time: 2-3 hours | Desired Temp: 145°
*Cook times may vary!Ingredients:
Meathead's Simon and Garfunkel Spice Rub
1 tbsp. dried crushed parsley
2 tbsp. dried crushed sage
1 tbsp. dried crushed rosemary
1 tbsp. dried crushed thyme
1 tbsp. dried crushed oregano
1 tbsp. dried crushed basil
1 tbsp. dried crushed bay leaf
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/8 tsp. instant yeast or active dry yeast
2 tsp. instant yeast or active dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp.salt
1 large egg white, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning (depends on preference)
3 pounds fresh spinach
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1 cup stock
3/4 cup grated swiss cheese
2 tbsp. fine dry breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
1 small leek, white and light green part only, very thinly sliced
¾ cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup sharp grated white cheddar
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and black pepper
- The night before the cook, score the pork loin on the fatty side in a crosshatch pattern so that salt, rub, and smoke can penetrate the meat.
- Weigh out 1.75% salt by weight for the meat on a kitchen scale*. Rub the salt on the meat, covering all sides and working it into the score lines. Place the pork loin it in a container and let it "dry brine" overnight in the fridge.
- Next morning, give it a quick rinse under running water to get off the extra salt and liquid that has been drawn out. Mix 50/50 canola/olive in with an herb rub to make a thick paste and rub it on there good, making sure to get down in the score lines again.
- Light your PBC according to instructions. Add apple wood to the charcoal for flavor.
- Place the herb-crusted loin on the grate, scored side up, and close the lit. I use a Thermoworks Smoke thermometer, which allows me to know the temp without taking the lid off. As they say, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'." Remove the pork loin when it reaches 145° internal.
- Tent in foil and allow to rest until meal time. Slice and serve up with your favorite fall sides sides. Check links by ingredient!