Recipe By: Owen Quirk
12-15 lb Turkey
2 liter Club Soda
Cornstarch to coat turkey
3 Cups AP Flour
2 Cups Panko
2 tbs Baking Powder
7 Tsp Paprika
1 tbs garlic powder
4 Tsp salt
4 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs Pit Barrel Cooker Co All Purpose Rub
Hot Sauce Ingredients
1/2 Cup Cayenne Pepper
4 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
6 tbs paprika
1 tbs Chipotle pepper
2 tbs chile powder
2 tbs red pepper flakes
2 cups peanut oil or neutral oil
- Spatchcock turkey
- Lightly coat with cornstarch.
- Quickly dip or spritz with club soda. You can reapply a very thin coat of cornstarch to turkey if the club soda washes off completely.
- Apply breading, pat and let adhere and set.
- Start PBC per normal lighting procedure.
- Place turkey on rack, skin/breading side up.
- Heat oil on stovetop. To make sauce, combine spices and then carefully pour in about 2-3 cups of hot oil. Stir.
- Cook until the breading appears mostly set (about 135° IT).
- Gently apply sauce.
- Continue to cook, you may *carefully* flip the bird (optional). Only do this if you have an extra grate and can sandwich the turkey and then carefully flip the grates with the turkey securely sandwiched inside. Return to PBC.
- Cook until 145-150° IT and apply a second coat of sauce and leave lid cracked to spike temperature of the barrel and ensure a crisp skin and breading. Monitor closely.
- Remove from Pit Barrel Cooker once it is 160° in the breast (carryover will help you reach 165°).
- Rest and carve.