Lighting your Pit Barrel®
Take the PBC to the next level!
Use these must-have accessories to get a perfect cook, every time! For the ultimate PBC experience
we recommend the following items:
What you need
- Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter (sold separately)
- Lump Charcoal -or- Standard Burning Briquets
- Newspaper or Similar -or- Starter Cube
- Cooking Oil (optional)
Method 1 – Standard Hook ’n Hang Cooks
- Fill your PBC or PBJ coal basket completely level with standard briquets.
- Place coal basket with remaining 3/4 briquets in the bottom of the Pit Barrel®.
Set the Grill Grate in your cooker. Place a piece of the charcoal bag drizzled with some cooking oil, some crumpled newspaper. or a starter cube on the grate and light. Immediately place your Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter on top.
Let your coals burn approximately 12 minutes (increase for higher elevations). Remove the grate and evenly distribute the coals from the Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter over the unlit coals in the charcoal basket.
- Begin your cook immediately.
Method 2 – Grilling
- Place the empty charcoal basket in the bottom of your Pit Barrel®.
Fill your Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter with charcoal. We recommend lump charcoal for grilling, as it burns hotter than standard briquets, but this lighting method will work for briquets as well.
Set the grill grate in your cooker. Place a piece of the charcoal bag drizzled with some cooking oil, some crumpled newspaper. or a starter cube on the grate and light. Immediately place your Custom Pit Barrel®Chimney Starter on top.
- Wait approximately 12 minutes, and pour the contents of the Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter into the empty coal basket.
Add additional charcoal to the Custom Pit Barrel® Chimney Starter and evenly distribute over the hot coals, filling the charcoal basket, and place your grate in the cooker.
- Let the charcoal sit with the rebar out and lid cracked about an inch. Allow to heat up approximately 15 minutes with lump charcoal, and 20-25 minutes for briquets.
- Begin your cook.