Take this recipe to the next level!
Use these must-have accessories to get a perfect cook, every time! For this recipe, the following
items are recommended to take your cookout to the next level.
Print This Recipe
Cook Time: 2 Hours* | Desired Temp: 165º
*Cook times may vary
- 1-6 5 lb. Whole Chickens
- Olive oil
- PBC All-Purpose Pit Rub
- Light your Pit Barrel® Cooker (PBC) according to the instructions.
- Remove the chicken from the package, remove neck and giblet bag (if present) and place on a cutting board breast-side-up.
- Split the chicken in half by cutting between the breasts and down through the spine with a large knife. Remove the spine if desired. Tip: A serrated bread knife works well.
Coat all sides of each chicken half with a light coating of olive oil, followed by a liberal dusting of the All-Purpose Pit Rub. Tip: Make sure that you season the areas under the wings
- Place one hook through the center of the thickest end of each breast (about 2-3 inches from the end) and through the upper portion of the ribs.
- Hang the chicken halves from the rods in the PBC, leaving space between each, and secure the lid.
Cook approximately 2 hours.Tips: To better understand poultry cook times and safe temperatures, refer to the Meat Temperature Guide from our friends at AmazingRibs.com.The outstanding thermometers from ThermoWorks will will help you nail the perfect temperature each time.
- Remove the chicken(s) from the PBC, and the hooks from the chicken, and cut into individual pieces using the Ultimate Chef's Knife.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!