OUTDOOR COOKING LIFESTYLE
DIET VS LIFESTYLE
What is Keto?
What is ketosis?
Ketosis occurs when the body begins to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Carbohydrates from foods are usually converted to glucose, which is used as a source of energy for the body. When carbohydrates are restricted, your body will instead convert its existing fat stores into fatty acids and ketones, which replace glucose as an energy source.
Bottom line is, reaching ketosis helps your body burn fat stores more efficiently.
What can I expect?
When starting the keto lifestyle, you should expect to be in ketosis 24–48 hours after starting (depending on your carb intake). Your body might feel off at the start due to what some call the, "keto flu". This is your body adjusting to the major nutritional change. This should pass within a week, depending on how quickly your body adjusts to the new lifestyle. Your gut biome might also be off if you don't get enough fiber, so be sure to increase your consumption of high-fiber and low-carb vegetables to prevent this. You will most likely not experience the same keto journey as your colleague or neighbor as all bodies are react differently to nutritional changes. Some starting the keto lifestyle think it is a breeze and feel better than ever, whereas others feel tired even after weeks of adjusting. Listen to your body! With the ketogenic lifestyle, kidneys excrete more electrolytes and water, so it’s easy to get dehydrated. Make sure to drink plenty of water and get enough sodium.
What are the health and weight loss benefits?
- When people cut carbohydrates, they tend to experience a very dramatic reduction in blood triglycerides.
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is often called the “good” cholesterol. The higher your levels of HDL relative to “bad” LDL, the lower your risk of heart disease. One of the best ways to increase “good” HDL levels is to eat fat, which is the theme of the keto lifestyle.
- Low-carb and ketogenic lifestyles can also be particularly helpful for people with diabetes and insulin resistance, which affect millions of people worldwide. Studies prove that cutting carbs lowers both blood sugar and insulin levels drastically. If you take blood sugar medication, talk to your doctor before making changes to your carb intake, as your dosage may need to be adjusted to prevent hypoglycemia.
- Low-carb diets are an effective way to lower blood pressure, which should reduce your risk of diseases such as heart disease, stroke and kidney failure and help you live longer. Very low-carb and ketogenic diets are now being studied for other brain conditions as well, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease
- Significant weight loss. Depending on your current size, you are likely to lose 10 pounds or more, in the first month on the ketogenic diet. Much of this will occur in the first week as you lose water weight from the lack of carbohydrates you consume. However, the weight loss following that is true fat loss due to being in ketosis.
- Check out more benefits from Healthline, Harvard or a google search!
Bottom line is, a keto lifestyle is beneficial for many reasons and can help you achieve a weight loss goal while also feeling healthier than ever.
How can the PBC help me?
The Pit Barrel® is a must if you want to start a ketogenic diet or if you have been living the keto lifestyle for years. The Pit Barrel® Cooker is a drum smoker and barrel grill that can vertically hang meat for Smoked Sausage and Smoked Tri Tip or be used like a grill for Grilled Steaks, Burgers, or Crispy Smoked Chicken Wings. It's versatility is one-of-a-kind and can make cooking hassle-free to produce amazing results every time.
You can plan ahead with amazing Pit Barrel® keto recipes and cook an entire week's worth of food in one cook in your drum smoker. This makes it easy to stay on track so that you have flavorful meals prepped and ready to go, perfect for a hectic and busy lifestyle. You can Hook 'N Hang your meat(s) of choice and use our All-Purpose Basket Hanger or Hinged Grill Grate to cook some delicious tasting low-carb vegetables.
The keto lifestyle has helped many live happier, healthier lives and it is a great option for those looking to make a healthy lifestyle change.
Check out our friend Travis Major's keto journey and how he lost 178 lbs with his Pit Barrel® Classic. He has been living a ketogenic lifestyle that has helped him stay happy and healthy, all while cooking delicious food and creating amazing keto recipes.
"The PBC was a huge factor in my weight loss journey. BBQ and Keto go hand-in-hand like best friends. I have always loved BBQ and have always been confident in the kitchen but using the PBC was a whole new world. I also discovered that BBQ restaurants are sometimes very expensive and use sauces and ingredients that are not keto friendly - and that was what I was really needing at the time. Keto is structured for high fat, moderate protein and little to no carbs. Sometimes I would order brisket and it was bathed in BBQ sauce which went against what I was trying to do and needed to reach my goal of weight loss. I set out to learn how to do it myself to save money and make sure that it was prepared in a keto style that would benefit me the most. As I began to learn myself, I started meal prepping and using all of these fatty proteins that I had BBQ’d over the weekend to provide what I needed throughout the week and BANG! I started really rolling and getting into a more sustainable groove."
NOT KETO? NO PROBLEM
SEAFOOD AND VEGETABLES
Nutritionists have long advocated for a well-rounded diet so you can get all the vitamins and nutrients necessary to sustain a healthy and vibrant lifestyle. Red meat and poultry are great sources of nutrition and taste delicious cooked in your Pit Barrel®, but we like to spice it up and try a smoked fish recipe or veggie patty recipe for an exciting and nutritious meal.
Seafood is high in protein and low in calories, helping to sustain energy levels and keep you full but also making you feel weighed down. Fish is also high in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D and B-12, calcium and others helping you to get vital vitamins and minerals.
Vegetables are also high in an array of vitamins needed to sustain vital body functions and help keep you healthy. Many veggies are low in calories and high in fiber so they help with digestion and help to keep you full throughout the day.
Bottom line, eating a well-rounded diet is essential to a healthy lifestyle.
*Please note that the author is not a certified nutritionist and make no claims to the contrary. The reader assumes full responsibility for consulting a qualified health professional regarding health conditions or concerns, and before starting a new diet or health program. The writer(s) and publisher(s) of this site, www.pitbarrelcooker.com, are not responsible for adverse reactions, effects, or consequences resulting from the use of any suggestions herein or procedures undertaken hereafter. Nothing on this site is medical advice. Talk to your doctor before making any lifestyle or diet changes. Opinions are not intended as medical advice and should not be taken as medical advice.